Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Guess Who Has the Chicken Pox

Or, in med-speak, guess who has what is likely a localized atypical reaction to a varicella vaccination.

I never did get chicken pox as a kid, so when I began to work at the hospital, Employee Health decided that I should be immunized. This way, if I came into contact with chicken pox at the hospital, I would probably not get it. I agreed with them: the last thing I want is chicken pox as an adult.

Well I got the chicken pox, through the very attempt to avoid it. An itchy irony.

Thankfully it is only a few bumps on my right forearm. I feel fine, and it doesn't look like it will spread. I am, however, contagious, and Employee Health sent me home. I can't go back to the hospital campus until I have "crusted over," which will mean that I am no longer at risk of infecting anyone else. Until then, the risk to patients is too high.

I will miss being at the hospital, but I do secretly hope that I don't crust too quickly. I might finally sit and read Athanasius's Letter to Marcellinus, and even watch some more of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Season 1. Perhaps I will get a few posts up here on the blog, which I have neglected since I started at the hospital.

I hope much less secretly that this minor irritation does not get any worse.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

Oh NO! I had chicken pox as an adult (I was 33) and it was really bad. In the end, it progressed into Viral Meningitis and literally changed my life (long story -- but 12 weeks off of work gave me lots of time to think about the direction of my life...) I hope and pray that your experience remains mild.

As always, I love reading your blog.

Thursday, October 06, 2005 10:01:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eeewww!?

Why are you showing us pictures, Preston? It's one thing to tell us about it, and another thing to offer a spiritual reflection on it. But, pictures?

Yuck!

Thursday, October 06, 2005 3:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May God grant you a slow crusting.

Thursday, October 06, 2005 8:27:00 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Oh you poor sad pock! I had c.p. when my twin brothers were born... I don't remember it. Sam got them from Iona when he was two. It wasn't too bad... just sad. I hope your feeling well otherwise. Usually it has a gestation period of about two weeks (in which your contagious!) How long did it take from needle to first pock?
After you experience, I'm going to really think about whether or not I'll get Audrey vaccinated!
BTW thanks for the recent comment... I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be with grabbing my "million dollar butt" these days... It may have depreciated in value since that performance! ;)

Friday, October 07, 2005 8:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home