Tuesday, July 12, 2005

"Baby Priest": You're Gonna Have to Live With It

The title of the blog, "Baby Priest", is going to stay. It will stay at least for a while, despite the best efforts of the "Lynch" mob (you know who you are!).

But it does seem that some explanation is in order, because I'm not sure that many people are familiar with the expression, "baby priest." I didn't choose it because I think of myself as all that young. Nor did I choose it to be cute. I chose it because newly ordained priests are often called this, and not necessarily young priests. It is the ministry that is young, not the person. A sixty-year-old ordinand, if recently ordained, is a baby priest. When the expression is used, it is rarely in a context that implies anyone being cute. It is instead an expression that most often means "he's new at this, so give him some slack."

But the title will not last for ever. One is only a baby priest for so long. Look forward to "Toddler Priest," then maybe "Adolescent Priest," and maybe even one day "Crusty ol' Bastard Priest." You never know. ;-)

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

Toddler Priest... that'll be fun! That's when you can keep testing the limits and asking "Why" incessantly! I look forward to that, I hear it's your specialty.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 12:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I saw that Karen liked "Baby Priest," I knew immediately that my cause was doomed. Of course, I am not foolish enough to take her on. So, I accept your decision, and I send this comment with several doses of slack.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 4:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like your blog, Preston! But there is something missing. We all know what a huge A's fan you are, so how come you don't have have an A's link? I'm sure a lot of your Berkeley friends would approve! (and I suppose I can live with baby priest!)

-Grace

Wednesday, July 13, 2005 5:39:00 PM  
Blogger Preston said...

Grace - I'm glad you like the blog. And I will put that A's link up right away.

And on the A's, sad to see Byrnes get traded, isn't it!

Wednesday, July 13, 2005 9:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home