Sunday, August 07, 2005

I've Been Feeding What?

As some of you know, if you've been reading my posts on being here in Davis, I love to get to know the local wildlife. To this end, I put up a birdfeeder in the backyard, hoping that some of the local birds would drop by and indulge my hospitality.

I was glad to see that almost right away the bird-seed was disappearing. I wasn't seeing any birds eating at the feeder, but I figured that it was because they were eating the feed early in the morning, and me being a late riser, I simply never saw the birds enjoying their breakfast.

Well, in the middle of the night the last week, Karen and I were awakened by a something hitting our window. We did not find out what hit the window, but we did see a large creature eating out of the birdfeeder. It wasn't a bird. It was maybe 15 inches long, oval shaped, with a white belly. The next day I took the birdfeeder down, as I did not want to feed this non-avian, whatever it was.

Fast-forward to this afternoon. I was invited to a parish get-together, and I asked some long-time Davis residents what this creature might have been.

It was a rat.

I was feeding a big-ass rat, a rat larger than either of my cats, including the fat one.

I am tempted to send them both out one night, hunting that beast, but I think the rat might kill the cats.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Preston,
That is so disgusting. I guess that is one good thing about living in Alberta, it is rat free.
And here I was upset because all the birds at my feeder are little piggies and I have to fill it every day now. Who knew sparrows and chickadess ate so much??
Andrea

Monday, August 08, 2005 1:55:00 PM  
Blogger Charlotte said...

Preston, Yikes!! It doesn't sound like a "tree rat" either. I'd keep my cats indoors, away from harm, and call Animal Control to see if they had any recommended strategies.

Monday, August 08, 2005 6:07:00 PM  
Blogger Preston said...

Karen tells me I'm exagerating, and that the rat was nowhere near that big.

I still think it could beat up the cats.

Monday, August 08, 2005 11:50:00 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

Where is Tom's invisible gun when you need it?

Wednesday, August 17, 2005 9:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home