Thursday, July 21, 2005

Backyard Gardening

Karen and I have begun gardening for the first time. It's been a good experience so far, sharing the chores like watering and feeding. Though Karen does all the work that involves stooping, I try to at least be out there doing what work I can, as a go-fer and offering words of encouragement.

We have been very excited about the watermelon that Karen and Ian planted while Ian was visiting. The watermelon was the only plant that did well in our original soil. We are novice gardeners, so we figured we'd just put the plants in the soil that was there.

Well, none of the herbs grew at all. I stripped the basils for a meal I was preparing one night, and they stood like small nude bamboo shoots for weeks after that. Nothing wanted to grow. Only the watermelon, which shot out two long vines, was happy at all.

So we made our way to Ace Hardware, where they were very helpful. Sharon, Ace Hardware worker and gardener, told us to use some soil conditioner. Turns out soil conditioner is just a fancy name for chicken shit, by the way. But what good advice!

It made a tremendous difference. The basil is no longer naked, the tomatoes are flowering and showing their fruits, and the hot peppers are smiling widely.

And the watermellon showed it's appreciation by offering us it's first little round mellon.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger kerry said...

Congrats on your melon. Gardening is a great hobby. There are lots of sites on the net where a newbie gardener can get some help. http://www.gardenweb.com and http://www.davesgarden.com are two I frequent a lot. If you haven't done so, a soil test will give you some insight into what your soil needs. Your local land grant University will probably do the testing. Ask at a local garden shop and they should know where to send you.

Thursday, July 21, 2005 4:17:00 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Wow, we're growing weeds. Lot's of weeds. And all our plants, in the house, have died and been composted. Except the lucky bamboo... but that'll be dead by the time we get back from holidays, I'm sure.
P.S. Thanks for the kind words on my blog...
I was thinking of you guys as I rolled my way through TO.

Thursday, July 21, 2005 8:52:00 PM  
Blogger hayes said...

We are just gardening for the second time. We are tackling more than we did before and things are going pretty well. My tomatos are amazing and I noticed one little green pepper starting to grow. Isn't it cool to be a part of growing things!
Glad I stopped by.

Friday, July 22, 2005 5:37:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home