Monday, May 08, 2006

Burnout 101

Are you experiencing job burnout?

"Do you find yourself dreading going to work in the morning?
Are you regularly experiencing fatigue and low energy levels at your job?
Are you easily bored with your job?
Do work activities you once found enjoyable now feel like drudgery?
Are you depressed on Sunday afternoons thinking about Monday and the coming week?
Have you become more cynical or bitter about your job...your boss...the company?
Do you find yourself easily annoyed or irritated by your co-workers?
Are non-work relationships (marital, family, friendships) affected by your work feelings?
Do you find yourself envious of individuals who are happy in their work?
Do you now care less than you used to about doing a "good job" at work?

If you answered yes to five or more of the above, you may be suffering from job burnout."

What does it mean when you score a perfect 10?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, it means that it's time to quit your job.

Or to reevaluate radically your relationship to it, preferably in the company of a) a sympathetic colleague or friend, b) a clinical supervisor or spiritual director, and/or c) your supervisor IF s/he is a safe person with whom to converse about this.

Or maybe you just need a vacation.

Peace,
Jane

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 9:26:00 PM  
Blogger Marshall Scott said...

Well, having been halfway through a CPE residency, it usually means too many nights on call with too little sleep. In my first residency, long, long ago, I had a period of time when I was serving one night on, two nights off, for a couple of weeks - a bad case of the flu went through the whole department. I did burn out! More to the point, I cracked. I had to call in the emergency backup person to finish the last 12 hours of a 48 hour weekend in house.

Which taught me to ask for help, preferably sooner!

Now, as with all things: have you taken this to the group?

Thursday, May 11, 2006 7:40:00 PM  
Blogger Preston said...

Today we (the group) decided that I might need a week off, which I am taking, and not reluctantly. I need this time to see if the fourth unit is a good idea.

It's pretty clear chaplaincy is not in my future as a vocation. Not because I'm not capable in small amounts, I'm just unable to do it all day every day.

Friday, May 12, 2006 9:41:00 PM  
Blogger Marshall Scott said...

Well, Brother, it could be suggested that those of us who can do it all day every day have something wrong with us that works in that particular environment. But, then, that may be true of all of us. Pick up a poor man on the street who says he hears the voice of God, listens to the Voice, and seeks to carry out the instructions received, and he's on his way to a hospital. Collect a hundred or so such folks and put a sign that says "Seminary" over the door, and its a profession.

Seriously, I always have to honor my colleagues in parish ministry. They deal with a great deal of banality that I have trouble dealing with. Since the vocational question is, "Okay, God, what do you want me to do now?, learning that you're not called in that direction is valid and important. And when you've been a rector for some years and are a candidate for bishop somewhere, we'll all applaud.

Saturday, May 13, 2006 6:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home