Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Was I Just Emergent?

It's the feast of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary today, and my turn to lead morning mediations for my fellow chaplains.

I decided to do things a little differently. So, last night I searched the iTunes music store and found a setting of the magnificat by Arvo Pärt, a contemporary composer with some ancient sensibilities. I searched Google Images with the search string visitation, and found about 3 dozen images of ancient ikons and contemporary sculpture, some mundane and American, others odd and international, some traditional representations of the visitation, and others called "visitation" but probably not of Mary or Elizabeth. I uploaded them to my iPod, along with my new music.

I got to work, pulled out my cables, and attached my iPod to our TV, we read some scripture, I said a few words on the Visitation and the Christian life, we listened to Arvo as we watched the images fade in and out. Then we prayed together for our own visitations, that the Holy Spirit might visit us as we ministered through our day.

Then I thought to myself, "Dang. Was I just emergent?"

It wasn't on purpose. It just happened that way.

For Bob, to whom I've e-mailed at least one lengthy missive against emergent worship. Thanks for something, my friend, though I'm not sure yet what that is!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow dude, that was like, totally Emergent.

- Karen

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 7:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home