Monday, March 24, 2008

Anglican Journal: Streamlined vestments

The story of my vestments has made the Anglican Journal website. Here's the article:
A priest from the diocese of Rupert’s Land who uses a wheelchair is now finding it easier to move around in robes custom-made for him by a concerned parishioner.

Gail Forrest, a member of the altar guild of St. Mary Magdalene parish, created special vestments for her parish rector, Rev. Preston Parsons, after seeing how his chasubles often got caught under the wheels of his chair. The stoles and chasubles that Mr. Parsons had inherited as a new priest were “much too bulky and awkward.”

Ms. Forrest, who learned how to sew in her youth, designed a special pattern she called an angel-wing cape and made four different sets of chasubles for Mr. Parsons, including a purple one for Lent.

Mr. Parsons was delighted with his parishioner’s act of kindness. “They (old robes) got caught in my wheels, dragged on the floor, and slipped all over the place,” he said. That is no longer a concern with his new chasubles that have non-slip linings.
An important but missing piece to the story is that these vestments, and the goodwill behind them, has been an answer to prayer. As soon as it became clear that priesthood was in my future, I began the (vain?) prayer that the parish that called me into ministry would support my ministry in very particular ways, and one of them was custom eucharistic vestments. My prayer was that specific, and answered without me asking anyone but God! Gail literally began measuring me before I was sure what she was measuring me for.

Thanks be to God, and to Gail for her beautiful work.

There are more pictures here. Missing are purple and red, recently finished, and completing the set. Hopefully pictures will go up soon.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

How wonderful!

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 4:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a marvellous story or real Christian love

Friday, April 11, 2008 2:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home