Thursday, September 01, 2005

P at the Big A, Day 2

At the game tonight, I sat near a quadriplegic Angels fan who was making fun of his other quad friend. He was joking around in the dark humor that can develop among people who have suffered something together, but who are willing to still laugh about it. It's the kind of humor that makes most onlookers uncomfortable. That's part of what makes it is so funny.

"Don't get him a hot dog," said the one quad to the other. "He always spills mustard all over himself."

He turned and said to me, with an evil grin on his face, "darn A's fan. I ought to come over there and flip you out of your chair."

"I'd like to see you try," I said. "You're more crippled than me by at least twelve vertebrae."

He just grinned.

That was about as enter- taining as it got. The A's lost again tonight. This despite the hope and cheers of Grace, the biggest A's fan I know (that's us in the picture on the right). I thought for sure that the A's would win with their biggest booster in the crowd. But they fell again, 3-0.

Joe said we could get some tickets to a minor league game for tomorrow. Though I saw the A's lose twice, at least I might see future hall of famer Rickey Henderson play for the San Diego Surf Dawgs. That should be fun.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The quad humor you describe puts me in mind of "Murderball," a documentary I saw recently about the US paralympic quad rugby team, which is filled with that kind of thing -- probably makes most audience members squirm, but it's also hysterical...

Tuesday, September 06, 2005 8:25:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Preston, it's grace!! My parents and I went to an A's game on last saurday!they beat the white sox 6-4! I really hope they whip the angels tomorrow!Let's go oakland!! !!!

Saturday, September 23, 2006 4:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home