Sunday, March 05, 2006

Things They Don't Teach You in Seminary (2)

I learned how to chant in seminary. I also learned that I should practice my chanting and be prepared for worship.

What I didn't learn is how to prepare for something like, say, the Great Litany, maybe about 10-12 minutes of chanting, with about 5 minutes of preparation time.

In case you were wondering, this is how you do it: *

1. Point the text hurriedly in the sacristy.
2. Pray.
3. Rush to the back of the nave, while praying.
4. Process while chanting. Don't think about the words, you don't know them anyway.

* Not recommended. Do not try this at church. (Except the praying part; try that everywhere.)

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Preston said...

In case you are wondering, it all went fine. I was up to the task! Thank God.

And our rector offered to do it, even though he was not the chief celebrant. I decided I wanted the challenge and experience of doing these kinds of things at the last minute, as I'm sure there will be more last minutes waiting for me in the near future.

Sunday, March 05, 2006 3:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Process while chanting. Don't think about the words, you don't know them anyway."

That's some sage advice right there. I'm going to remember that one Preston - thanks :-)
(I'm serious btw...)

Monday, March 06, 2006 8:54:00 AM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

That is the advantage, and the purpose to chanting things such as this. The tone that is set by it seems to resonate deeper with the individuals. People forget words, but when the chanting starts they join in. Not necessarily remembering what the specific words are supposed to be, but getting them right nonetheless.

It works well for those being led in the chant, I agree with Preston though, it might not be the best thing to rely upon for the leader of the chant.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006 10:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home