Sunday, August 20, 2006

Almost Gone

I got a wicked head cold last weekend, just in time to interfere with packing as much as possible. I picked up Len, my father-in-law, on Wednesday. I had my final day at the Med Center on Friday. And today, we said goodbye to St. Martin's. Len and Karen are off picking up the U-Haul as I write, finally giving me a minute amidst the crazy packing to give a short update!

Karen and Len are driving to Winnipeg starting tomorrow. I will be flying, landing in Winnipeg at about 9:30pm tomorrow, arriving about three days ahead of them. (I won't be much help with the driving anyway. That, combined with my need for rest, led Karen to graciously let me off the hook.)

If you have a minute, pray for us all while we travel.

I begin at St. Mary Magdalene's on the 1st of September, though my first Sunday presiding and preaching will be the 10th - the vestry was also gracious enough to give me a little more time to rest. We will celebrate this new ministry at 7:30pm, at St. Mary Magdalene's (3 St. Vital Road) on the 17th.

I look forward to seeing all my Winnipegger friends again, even as I'm sad to leave so many friends here in California. A fond farewell to those I leave, and hello again to old friends. Bittersweet, I suppose.

Goodbye, California.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope the move goes well! I did not much enjoy the 18' U-Haul plus car trailer experience much, but we are hoping not to have to do it again for a while.

Blessings on your new parish ministry!

Sunday, August 20, 2006 2:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was great sadness in Long Beach, California’s Little Winnipeg last night. I went over for the summer nightly hymn sing after dinner, and word was out that you and Karen were taping boxes and loading the truck. For the most part, the mood was somber—they knew they would no longer run into you at Blair Field or pass you on the way to the local drug store to buy green markers.

Still, the new president of the Little Winnipeg Civic Association, Wayne Rooter, wanted you to know that you’ll retain your status as honorary members. He regrets that you won’t be present for the opening of the Dalvnavert Gallery, and its showing of original woodcuts of Manitoba flora, at 3rd and Redondo Blvd, on the U.S. labor day weekend. However, he will continue to send you invitations to the annual fall festival, Destination Little Winnipeg, which this year will be moved from the Saturday of the Grey Cup weekend to Saturday, September 30, just before the start of the NHL season. But you may see a few LIttle Winipeglians at the Polyphenols conference this week; I told Hermann and Miriam, in particular, to look for you.

Obviously, Preston, you and Karen have friends, eh, and a home, here whenever you need them.

Monday, August 21, 2006 12:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brothers and Sister in Christ need never say farewell, but we will see you soon and a joyful meeting it will be!

May Our Lord Jesus Christ grant you safe travel and the Grace to lead your people into paths of peace and righteousness, believing through the power of the Holy Spirit!

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 2:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ran into Wayne Rooter again last weekend at the Red River Café. Preparations are gearing up for the annual Destination Little Winnipeg fall festival that I told you about a few weeks ago. The theme they’ve selected this year has a lot to do with their desire to increase the neighborhood’s visibility. So, they’ve chosen “Little Winnipeg: Gateway to Long Beach.” Little Winnipeg isn’t really at one of the edges of Long Beach, instead it’s a couple of miles in from almost every direction. Still, I guess the Winnepeglians here have the right idea. I’m sending a photograph of where it’s taking place. They’ll rope off the street, get a d.j. who will play a lot of Neil Young, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Crash Test Dummies, etc. They’re going the whole nine yards, it looks like. You’ll be sorry to miss it; I would, too.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 12:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home